Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Fifty-Two Baskets

It's a week until the grand opening of 'Calm Air All Ice present: 52' and i'm starting to dream about the number 52. Claire's coming down next Monday and we're going to be plotting and planning and installing for a few days so we are ready to open the doors on Wed 31st (my little sister's birthday). We're having an evening opening from 6-8pm and it would be great to see some of you.


Before that i'm going to be taking a trip to Black Swan Arts in Frome, with my friend Lucy, to learn a bit about basket making. Lucy and I both have some of the same reasons for wanting to take this course- my friend Jen, and Lucy's mum were both buried in a woven coffin and we both agreed that it made the whole funeral process a lot nicer and the coffins (or baskets as Jen's was called!) actually became beautiful objects that you wanted to look at.

In addition to that side of things through the family history research that both my parents have done, I know that I am from a long line of basket makers (or basket cases some might say) and I feel that it's important for me to re-connect with this part of my genetic dna. Maybe i'll be a natural, maybe i'll make a basket that would put my great great great's to shame?

1 comment:

Inflated Records said...

Very creative postt