Thursday, September 10, 2009

World Suicide Prevention Day




In a change from all things Mythical Beast related I wanted to just draw your attention to the fact that today is World Suicide Prevention Day, and encourage you to visit the website and learn more about warning signs and ways to help prevent suicide. I'm a little conflicted on this as I believe that some people are so determined to end their life that you will never be able to prevent it, but I also know that it is a horribly painful thing to lose someone to suicide and anything that might help prevent that loss must be a good thing.

I've been thinking more recently about which 'bits' of me I show on this blog and I think this is as good a place as any to start to show some other pieces of me. Next week I shall start to teach an 8 week course that I have co-developed specially for people leaving Secondary Mental Health Care, and supported housing. It's something that is really important to me as for two years I received support from a 'floating support worker' from an organisation called Second Step. It's amazing how far you can come with the right support. Who would've thought that the person that once upon a time needed so much help could end up being the person that was (hopefully) helping others.

I still have the same illness I had when I first needed support, but look at the list of things I have achieved since then:

gone back to University
been offered a place on an MA
joined the committee for Weston Arts Festival and organised a bunch of events
had my own shows
shown work in America
been published in 3 books
taken part in a Bust Craftacular

and that's just the things I can think of off the top of my head! My message is simple: look after your mental health, and look out for others. We mad people can do amazing things, we can be a pain to live with, we can waste days staring at the wall, but we're full of potential so you better watch out for us...

1 comment:

Colouring Outside The Lines said...

xoxox That last sentence made my heart swell xoxox