Friday, May 23, 2008

We got stuck in the mud

we got stuck in the mud

Well, that's the end of the first year pretty much. We aren't having an end of year show as we've not been working on a body of work, rather filling our time with commissions and drawings. This is my final piece for the drawing component of the course- it's about 8 x4 ft and now i've got it back home I have no idea where it's going to live. This isn't a brilliant photo, and you can't really see the detail, but i'm more or less happy with it. Of course there's always something that makes you feel a bit disastisfied with anything you produce, and this is no exception, but it was good to make a return to drawing again. Now...who wants to find the money for me to frame this monster?!

Just in case anyone's interested this is made using layers of newspaper, old book pages from Sweden, tissue paper and brown paper. I worked into it with stitch, sharpie pen, compressed charcoal, white gouache, white emulsion, water, brush pen, graphite stick and my beloved 3 in 1 pencil. I also used letraset text as a form of texture, but think that was the finishing touch, after I took this photo.

Coming soon:
exciting news about Mythical Beasts

5 comments:

Gaina said...

I am at an absolute loss as to know what to do with myself today! Haha.

So, I taught my new laptop to recognise my voice. I figured it'll be much easier all round if I can speak those 2000-word essays we have coming next year. Actually I am going to get Vista for this PC next, because of that voice recognition thingy, as well as the fact it's just a nice Operating System.

If you don't get a 'A' for that drawing, I think I may run amok with a frozen cabbage.

Karen said...

What an amazing picture! Start a frame fund, I will donate the first pound!

Karen said...

I was thinking about your picture again. I am not trying to get out of my donation, but does it need a frame, will a frame not detract from the work? How about mounting it on a canvas or a board? It's too stunning for a frame.

Anonymous said...

I think it is very cool, and amazing how many different methods you've used in it. I wish I could stand close to it and see the small details!

Camilla said...

Thankyou for your comments- I think I might hang it with bulldog clips perhaps? Or trying Karen's idea, if only I can find a piece of hardboard that big! Actually the more I think about it the more I like that idea- it would give another layer to the piece.

hanna- there should be more details on my flickr pages...i'll find some good images and post them up soon.