Thursday, June 28, 2007

3 new books



My Mum treated me to a new book for passing my course with a Distinction, and following her lead I decided to treat myself too. So I now own three great new books that I recommend you check out for yourself.

Breaking the Mould New Approaches to ceramics, from Black Dog Publishing.

Full of some of my favourite ceramic artists of recent years. When I was working on my final project I really struggled to find information about people such as Kjell Rylander, Barnaby Barford and other young designers, but this book is packed full of the people I searched so hard to track down, and i've made it my mission to be in the next edition of it!

D.I.Y. Design it yourself from Princeton Architectural Press

I saw this book reviewed on a whole bunch of blogs and websites, and after getting over my initial reservations that this book would be too much about graphic design, and less about practical stuff I could make, I decided to order it. I am so glad I did because this is a lovely book- full of great ideas and at a level that I can understand! I'm sure if you are a top notch graphic designer it may be a bit too simple for you, but I found much to keep me occupied and will be refering to it when (if) I get round to re-doing my website and my business cards.


No one belongs here more than you by Miranda July

I was seduced by this book's website (click the link above to see what I mean) and by Miranda July in general. I think she is the greatest and I really enjoyed reading these short stories. I think it helps to have her voice in your head as you are reading them, a little Miranda July sitting on your shoulder narrating little stories about all kinds of strange things. I've just seen that she is a year younger than me and that has made me feel a bit rubbish about myself. I'll overcome it by doing some more of the assignments from Learning to Love you More. There...that's better.

No comments: