Saturday, June 14, 2008

UWE graduate show

I popped in on the UWE graduate show last night and came home with this tile, made by Lorna Siviter:

June 14th-tile from lorna siviter

Other things that took my fancy were Dawn Mason's creepy fabric, paper and hair yoyos and Grace Barby's Alice in Wonderland inspired mushroom outfit. The illustration department was too hot and crowded for me to get a good look at, as was graphic design- in fact going to these things on preview night is probably the worst way ever to actually see the work!

Tomorrow I am leaving early in the morning for a flying visit to Dublin- i'll only be gone for about a day and a half, but it's my only chance to meet up with my friend from Canada who is playing in the Bingham Cup. As Dublin is closer, and cheaper, to get to than Canada we decided we should finally meet up in real life, having known each other on-line for about 6 years. I'm hoping that I get a chance to visit The Irish Museum of Modern Art, which has a cut outs exhibition by Hans Christian Anderson and William Burroughs, a solo show by Ulla von Brandenburg and a selection of work from contemporary Irish based artists. I'm sure I might be able to drink a pint or two of Guinness at some point in the visit.

2 comments:

littlemithi said...

Lovely to see you and finally meet Jason (I think?) last night ... I'm shattered and haven't managed to see a good chunk of the show yet. Today was Bristol design Fest and The Jamaica Street open studios. Maybe tomorrow I take Drew to Bower/Spike.

Have also spent the day being depressed about how my work isn't good enough (after having seen the show!)

Have a great time in Dublin and take lots of photos of the cutouts!

Karen said...

Hi Camilla. Thanks for the comment on poppytalk! I too love visiting the graduate shows, I am off to the Manchester one on monday and New Designers in July. Hope you enjoyed Dublin.