Saturday, June 28, 2008

Old School

upside down

I've been working on this piece for the Old School exhibition at Upper Case gallery in Canada. I'm not sure how I feel about this drawing- my 'charmingly naive' style of drawing just seems to make it look like I can't draw properly. Or maybe that's my overly critical eye. I always find it easier to view my own work via a monitor, or camera- for some reason being one step removed from it makes it easier to pick out the things I want to change.

This piece is based on a vintage photo I found of a group of school girls doing exercises by a lakeside somewhere, and i've used an old register that was found when the old college building was closed down.

2 comments:

Gaina said...

I like it. It has a 1920's feel to me - does that make sense? - may be something to do with the way the girl is dressed and the aged paper.

Leave it alone and see how you feel about it tomorrow.

Did you get my message about the meeting at college on monday?

Anonymous said...

Your drawing skills are fantastic, I don't know what you're worrying about.