Sunday, November 18, 2007

New work

hope doiley

I've got another exhibition coming up in December, so at the moment i'm trying to get work made for that, whilst getting on with work at Uni. I'm sure once these two exhibitions are out of the way i'll be able to give Uni work a bit more priority, but at the moment all I can think about is finishing the work for the show.

A while back I had the idea that I wanted to embroider text on a series of doily's and have them hanging like snowflakes as part of the show. The idea hadn't fully formed in my head when my friend came along and gave me a bag full of vintage table linen, including a selection of hand made lace doily's. It just seemed like perfect timing and solved the problem I thought I was going to have of searching for doily's in junk shops. Now i've given a few to my Mum to work on, and we have been slowly adding text to them. Embroidering the doily's is actually a really nice thing to do whilst watching tv in the evening, which could explain why mine are less than perfect!

My good and lovely friend Alys Paterson invited me to tea last night and once we had finished eating chilli and apple pie, and watching Flight of the Concords on YouTube, we set up a blog for her. Alys is a super talented illustrator/artist and you should pop over and say hello to her: Alys Paterson

3 comments:

littlemithi said...

Wow, another show? where where pray tell ...

Mod and Mint said...

Love your idea for the 'snowflakes-with-words' doily's. Can't wait to see how they turn out.

Elisa said...

The word hope togheter with a doily is a prayer in itself. I love doily's, I've used them on my big toadstool. Thanks for your comments on my blog and good luck for your show.