Thursday, March 01, 2007

Project Spectrum: Yes Thankyou


Yes Thankyou
Originally uploaded by crunchcandy.

Finally something that I made myself, rather than just photos of bits of my house or my collection of buttons!

This is a test piece that I made for a project I am working on at the moment. It's a ceramic slab that I have decorated using stencil (the lettering) and screen print (the floral design) in oxide on white slip. After the biscuit firing it looked pale and interesting, but for some reason I decided to glaze it with a turquoise glaze over the top. I had many sleepless nights after I made this choice and it was only when I saw the fired piece today that I could relax again- I hadn't totally ruined it after all!

The image is based on a photo of my grandma holding a puppy when she was a young girl (not that you can tell) The words 'Yes Thankyou' were written on the back of the photo, and in this finished test piece it's only the 'thankyou' that still stands out.

Today I glazed another three test pieces and started working on four finished pieces. Fingers crossed they all do exactly what I want them to do, but as anyone who works with glaze will know, sometimes it's the accidents that happen that make the work, work.

No comments: