Friday, October 27, 2006

Studio Friday- Collections


slide projection
Originally uploaded by crunchcandy.

What do you call a collection of collections? I am hopelessly hooked on collecting things- little treasures that seem very important to me, but in reality probably just fill my house with dust. This photo is from an exhibition I did last year and shows part of my collection of vintage handkerchiefs. I sewed them together and used them as a screen to back project slides on. It was good to be using part of my collection in my work- it felt like I was maybe letting go a little.

Yesterday I was talking to a friend about my deer collection and I told her I had finished collecting them- they filled a shelf and I didn't want them to overtake my entire house. I told her I was now starting to collect jugs. She posed the question- what would you do if you saw a jug with a deer on it? And I crumbled...once a collector, always a collector ...there's no cure for it, I just have to find more ways to use my collections so they don't take over my entire house.

Some of my collections on flickr:
My collection of vintage postcards and my collection of seaside signs but nothing tops my collection of ' Pier animals in my heart!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Milla! I love the idea of sewing the hankies together - and enjoying them all together! Fabulous! And I'm off to view your Flickr and all the collections there!

Going For Greatness said...

your vintage hankerchief screen is AMAZING!~ What a fantastic use of them, displaying them in a way to use them!! FANTASTIC!
yep... you said it.. Once a collector, always a collector and I sure wouldn't have it ANY other way!!!
~Gabi

Debbie said...

What fun! I love all your collections but I like the pier animals the best! Great photos and wonderful idea. They made me smile on this very windy, cold day!! Great post! Thank you for sharing your wonderful collection(s)! Have a great weekend!

Silvia Hoefnagels . Salix Tree said...

Oh my gosh! I had hankies similar to those children's ones! That's so cool. And the sewn-together ones is a great idea!

Camilla said...

Thankyou all for your kind words! I just love it when a plan comes together...or when I find a use for one of my collections should I say!